Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Late Post!

On Father's Day I shared some questions to ask your children as a Dad. I was asked by someone to print these so I apologize in the delay in doing so. I read them on Tony Merida's blog. Tony is the pastor of Temple Baptist Church in Hattiesburg Mississippi. Here is what he wrote:

Today I mentioned several resources of parents. I have been blessed by Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart, The Jesus Storybook Bible bySally Lloyd-Jones, and My 1st Book of Question and Answers by Mackenzie, to name a few. I also mentioned some questions that a Sovereign Grace Pastor shared with Piper, and he in turn footnoted the book Stand: A Call for Endurance of the Saints (p., 132, footnote 2). Piper honestly admitted that if he could anything over, after a long ministry, that it would be with respect to asking "heart questions" (my phrase) to his kids. He met with them regularly but wished that he would have probed deeper. I went through the questions quickly today in the sermon, but wanted to make the available here. Here are the questions
  • How are your devotions?
  • What is God teaching you?
  • In your own words, what is the Gospel?
  • Is there a specific sin that you're aware of that you need my help defeating?
  • Are you more aware of my encouragement than my criticism?
  • What's Daddy most passionate about?
  • Do I act the same at church as I do when I'm at home?
  • Are you aware of my love for you?
  • Is there any way I've sinned against you that I've not repented of?
  • Do you have any observations for me?
  • How am I doing as a dad?
  • How have Sunday's sermons impacted you?
  • Does my relationship with Mom make you excited to be married?

No comments: