Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hot Topic on Sunday Evening!

Alcohol was the topic for this past Sunday evening and the bottom line for me is abstinence. I shared with my congregation my upbringing and other factors which began to form my conviciton in the area of alcohol. I grew up in a small town in South Mississippi where you could not buy, and still cannot to this day, alcohol of any kind(legally). Alcohol was not a part of my home life and it was always looked upon with disdain. As I grew I was exposed to the damaging effects of this addictive drug and today through a study of the Word of God I realize the choice for me is to abstain. That is my desire for everyone especially "followers of Jesus"! It is an issue which evokes many emotions but one that is settled between you and God.

Abstinence is not required (for everyone) in the scripture but I believe it is recommended. The bible does not say drinking is a sin but certainly can lead to sinful behavior and even drunkeness. Drunkeness is clearly sinful to the point of keeping someone out of heaven (1 Cor. 6:9-10).

I shared some reasons for abstinence (credit James MacDonald, they are not original with me). Here they are:
  1. Alcohol is an unnecessary drug. ( it is one of the most abused drugs of our day)
  2. Alcoholism is a sin not a disease. (1Corinthians 6:9-10)
  3. Alcohol is addictive. (some people become alcoholics)
  4. Alcohol is destructive. (the statistics are mind boggling)
  5. Alcohol impairs wisdom. (Ephesians 5:18)
  6. Wisdom calls on us to set it aside.

One of the major reasons for abstinence as I see it is the damage it does to our witness for Jesus Christ. Paul mentions it a couple of times in 1 Corinthians and Romans. He also tells us many things are lawful but not everything is helpful. In Romans 14 he reminds us that we don't live to ourselves but to Jesus. The Christian life is not a life lived selfishly but for the glory of God so others might be drawn to the Lord Jesus Christ. One question we must ask is "Can I use alcohol socially and be a positive witness for Jesus Christ? The answer for me is very clear!

Look at this old newspaper article.

A member of Alcoholics Anonymous once sent columnist Ann Landers the following:

We drank for happiness and became unhappy.

We drank for joy and became miserable.

We drank for sociability and became argumentative.

We drank for sophistication and became obnoxious.

We drank for friendship and made enemies.

We drank for sleep and awakened without rest.

We drank for strength and felt weak.

We drank "medicinally" and acquired health problems.

We drank for relaxation and got the shakes.

We drank for bravery and became afraid.

We drank for confidence and became doubtful.

We drank to make conversation easier and slurred our speech.

We drank to feel heavenly and ended up feeling like hell.

We drank to forget and were forever haunted.

We drank for freedom and became slaves.

We drank to erase problems and saw them multiply.

We drank to cope with life and invited death.

Can a Christian drink alcohol? yes. The title of my message was not "can" but "Should a Christian drink alcohol?" I am convicted wholeheartedly the answer is NO!

(1 Corinthians 10:31) "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everthing for God's glory."

(Proverbs 31:4-7) (Proverbs 23:29-35) (Proverbs 20:1) (Romans 14) (1 Cor. 6: 19-20)

I realize many people disagree with my position (which is OK) and sometimes you simply have to disagree. My purpose is to share my conviction. You must come to your own conclusion. Thanks for reading my blog and I hope you come back.

Here are a few helpful websites. You probably know more. Send them to me!

http://www.alcoholfreechildren.org/en/index.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/

http://www.toosmarttostart.samhsa.gov/

1 comment:

Andy and Dana said...

Paul- I appreciate your willingness to preach biblically on the subject of alcohol. Here's a link to Danny Akin's (Southeastern) thoughts on this subject:

http://www.sebts.edu/president/wp-content/uploads/old/Resource_617/The%20Case%20for%20Alcohol%20Abstinence.pdf

-Andy Waldroup