Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday 5/29 NEPAL!


Our day began early because Matt, Brad, and I are still trying to get on local time. Bo met us at the hotel and we walked to his home which is about 30 minutes away (my Dr. would be proud). Bo wanted us to see what Katmanduh and the people are really like. It was eye-opening. We saw Hindus, Nepali's, Buddhist, Tibet Buddhist Monks, monkeys (yes, real monkeys) and the streets are crowded with locals selling their wares. Did I mention cars, trucks, and motorcycles in abundance? 

We spent the morning listening to Bo and his team leader, Ryan Parks share with us their passion, goals, and strategy for reaching the Tibetan Buddhist. We will share more details about the Tibetan Buddhist when I get home. We also had the privilege of visiting with Summer, Sophia, and Isabella. What a sweet family!

Lunch was at the "Lazy Gringo".  I rode on the back of Ryan's motorcycle from Bo's house. It was like being in a real video game as we honked (the horn is invaluable, kinda of like a seat belt back home) and dodged our way past trucks, cars, other motorcycles, bicycles, children and adults en route to lunch.  More about that later as well. A great mea! 

After lunch we met with some national believers, one the Pastor of a local church, at a Buddhist Stupa. A Stupa is a holy place for Buddhists. We observed hundreds of Tibetan Buddhists zealous and committed to a faith which provides little or no hope for this life or the life to come. 

We ended the day over another meal with the Team leader, his family, the nationals, six college students who had just arrived for two months, and a journeyman.

I was reminded of the 1st commandment which says "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". I wonder how many times I have made other things my god and broken God's first commandment.
I was also reminded of the words in the beginning of the Great Commission, "Go into all the world". I can see and hear it more clearly today!
Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning,(Owensboro time)
Happy to know you guys arrived
safely. Enjoying your blog. Keep
safe and well. We miss you. Saw
Leigh Anne at Walmart yesterday.
Keeping you close in our thoughts
and prayer. We leave for our Cruise today.

Blessings,
Howard and Clara